SASSO MARCONI | Bologna
SASSO MARCONI Travel Guide
Sasso Marconi is a town of 14.612 inhabitants in the province of Bologna.
Its name comes from the cliff that lies just south (called "sasso") and by Guglielmo Marconi, the scientist who invented invention of wireless telegraph and radio. Its origins are ancient, in fact in this area were found artifacts dating back to the Paleolithic as well as many Etruscan tombs, about twenty, whose rich content is today the pride of the Archaeological Museum of the nearby town of Marzabotto.
As a signal of the passage of the Romans, you can see the still functioning aqueduct, which still leads the water to the city of Bologna.
After the Roman period, the traces of the country were lost, between wars and barbarian invasions, until it passed under the control of the city of Bologna.
In 1506, when Pope Giulio II conquered Bologna, the entire territory became part of the Church; in this period of relative peace were built many villas, no longer fortified and perched in a defensive position, but in the valleys and near the fields, as the local agricultural system also develops.
what to see and what to do
The Places of GUGLIELMO MARCONI
- Villa Griffone and Marconi Mausoleum- Via Celestini 1 - Pontecchio Marconi (Bo) Summer residence of the Marconi family: here Marconi made his first experiments. Visits every Sunday at 10:00 am, other days / times by appointment tel. +39051 846121 email@example.com [www.fgm.it]
- Palazzo Marconi, former Palazzo Orsi Via San Vitale 28/30 - Bologna: House of the Marconi family
- Palazzo Orlandini Via IV Novembre 7 - Bologna: birth house of Guglielmo Marconi (April 25, 1874)
- Museo Pelagalli: A thousand voices ... A thousand sounds Via Col di Lana 7 / N - Bologna: Radio Museum www.museopelagalli.com
- Museo del Cielo e della Terra - V.lo Baciadonne, 1, San Giovanni in Persiceto BO www.museocieloeterra.org
EVENTS AND EXHIBITIONS
- at the end of July there is “Atuttabirra”, which, as its name suggests, is an occasion for drinking good beer and listening good music, not just Bavarian;
- at the beginning of September, like every year, at Palazzo de' Rossi there is the Fiera di Sdaz, an ancient peasant fair that resembles the folk traditions and peasants of the area: stalls with handicraft products and wine and food stands surrounding the exhibition of agricultural tools, dances and popular songs in dialect and the re-enactment of ancient crafts.
- Tartufesta, the last weekend of October, has come this year at its 28th edition, and is the occasion to taste the truffle of the Colli Bolognesi, a small curiosity: this year was done for the first time truffle ice cream, and it looks like it was also very good!
- In mid-December, the streets of Sasso Marconi are enlivened by the Christmas market, with typical products and crafts.
where - on the hill of Bologna, to the South
by TRAIN: Metropolitan Railway Service, every half hour at peak time, from Bologna Centrale direction Porretta, SASSO MARCONI Station.
Via Porrettana 314
Tel .: +39 051 675 8409
Town Hall of Sasso Marconi
Piazza dei Martiri della Liberazione, 6 -
Tel. +39 051 843 511
OTHER USEFUL ADDRESSES
Health Service : Hospital of Vergato
Via Dell'Ospedale, 1
Tel.: +39051 674 9111