Borgo Tossignano | Bologna
BORGO TOSSIGNANO Travel Guide
Borgo Tossignano is a municipality of 3.273 inhabitants, in the Santerno Valley, in the province of Bologna.
Its origins are ancient, dating back to the Iron Age (IX - VIII century b.C.), but the name derives from the Roman Thausignanum, as Roman was the fortification that gave life to the first settlement of Tossignano.
The history of this land is full of battles: first it was the scene of the clash between the Longobards and the city of Ravenna, then passed under the control of the Bishops of Imola, and during the wars between the Guelphs and Ghibellines was allied with the first, to subsequently pass under the control of the city of Bologna.
In the 14th century Tossignano was again disputed between Bologna and Imola, and later by the various noble families of the area (the Sforza, the Borgia, the Altemps and the Spada, to name but a few).
During the Second World War, Tossignano was almost completely destroyed by air bombardments.
what to see and what to do in BORGO TOSSIGNANO
- the remains of the Rocca of Tossignano, strategically located across the valley, which was destroyed during the bombing of World War II; today you can only see the moat and the foundation of the drawbridge.
- The Church of San Michele is also very beautiful, rebuilt after the bombing: inside it you can admire an image of the Madonna della Spiga, the patron of the village, dating from the 15th century.
- Very interesting and particular is the Sanctuary of the Riviera, dedicated to the Madonna of Visitazione, entirely built with stones is the oldest in the Santerno Valley.
- For the enthusiasts of outdoor activities, the territory of Tossignano is part of Alta Via dei Parchi, a route that passes through Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany and Marche and allows you to discover the beauty of the Apennines with its breathtaking views and pristine nature (the itinerary crosses two National Parks, five regionals parks and an interregional one). The itinerary is divided into 27 stages, for a total length of 500 kilometers, suitable for experienced hikers and simply enthusiasts. In the area there are also 10 cycling routes, of various difficulties, called "Ciclovie del Parco".
- The Regional Park of the Vena del Gesso Romagnola is also worth a visit: in addition to a very rich flora and fauna, thanks to the particular microclimate of the area, you can find ancient remains of human settlements of various ages, for example the remains of the Castle of Rontana, on the summit of Mount Rontana. dating from 973, from which you can enjoy a magnificent view. However, the particularity of the Vena del Gesso is the great presence of caves, many of which can be visited: more than 200 of them have been discovered, for a total of more than 40 kilometers.
Events and Exhibitions in BORGO TOSSIGNANO
- in February there is the Feast of Polenta, which allows you to taste this typical dish of the area;
- the Maccheroni Festival, the last day of Carnival, with gastronomic and local crafts;
- in May there is the Tortellino Feast, one of the pasta types that are most typical of the area, although, depending on the city and country, it changes the seasoning and the way it is cooked (in broth or gravy);
- in August there is the San Bartolomeo Festival, at the 31st edition, with wine and food stands and crafts and music entertainment;
- in September there is "Typical", a manifestation full of events;
- in December, during the Christmas period, there will also be a Christmas Market.
Useful Info and Contacts
Pro Loco TOSSIGNANO
Tel. +39 0542 90094
+39 0542 911111
OTHER USEFUL ADDRESSES
A.S.L. - HEALTH SERVICE
Via Dell' VIII Centenario 4 - 40021 Borgo Tossignano (BO) tel: +39 0542 94611
Borgo Tossignano: where is?
www.inbologna.it è gestito dall'Associazione
Supporta la nostra AssociazioneFAI UNA DONAZIONE !