DOZZA Travel Guide
Here settled Celtic and Roman, before the Longobard invasions, but they had to give way to the Byzantines, which included Dozza in their Esarcato until the middle of the eighth century. After a parenthesis as a free commune, the town became part of the State of the Church.
Today, most of the population live in the valley, at Toscanella, an industrial and laborious center, but it is mainly the old town of Dozza to attract tourists for its curious peculiarities.
Dozza is one of the beautiful medieval hamlets that embellish the Country and is characterized by frescoes by famous painters.
Almost every wall, in fact, is a small work of art, because here periodically great artists gather and paint murals on the walls of their houses.
The historic village has an elongated shape that, passing through a picturesque Arch, ends near Sforzesca Fortress, home to, among other things, the Regional Enoteca, where more than 800 wines are collected, which attentive sommeliers lead to tasting.
The Rocca is a medieval monument transformed by Caterina Sforza into a fortified castle and can be visited to admire the ancient kitchens, furnishings and historic paintings of the noble floor. The visit is spread over 4 floors and allows you to know both the medieval fortress, the Renaissance and finally the eighteenth century, with the interventions of the Malvezzi-Campeggi family who stayed in Rocca until the 60's of the last century.
The Rocca also houses the Documentation Center of the Painted Wall.
THE WINE FESTIVAL | IL VINO E' IN FESTA
HOW TO GET TO DOZZA
- by car: Highway A14, exit Castel San Pietro Terme Exit the A 14 motorway (Bologna - Ancona) at Castel San Pietro Terme (if coming from the north) or Imola (if coming from the south). Then take Via Emilia to the junction for Dozza.
- by train: Imola station (5 km) or Castel San Pietro (5km), then bus Tper
- Public Transportation: Presto Bus Service - The TPER line (at reservation) n. 147 offers links from Dozza to Toscanella and from there to Imola and Bologna at line 101, with a ride every hour (from 7 am to 8 pm on Monday from Monday on Saturdays from 14.00 to 20.00 on public holidays). Reservations 051 290 299 at least 1 hour before.
Tel. 0542/678116 - 678351
- ROCCA di DOZZA & BIENNALE MURO DIPINTO - (last edition 2015, prox : 2017) Fondazione Dozza Citta' d'Arte - Piazza della Rocca - Rocca Sforzesca di Dozza 40060 Dozza (BO) 0542 678240 / 0542 678240 www.fondazionedozza.it
- ENOTECA REGIONALE EMILIA ROMAGNA
Piazza Rocca Sforzesca - 40060 Dozza (BO) TEL. +390542 367700 www.enotecaemiliaromagna.it/it