ANZOLA DELL’EMILIA | Bologna
ANZOLA DELL’EMILIA Travel Guide
Anzola dell’Emilia is an Italian municipality of 12,260 inhabitants in the province of Bologna. In old times its name was Unciola, which is probably derived from the tradition that was in ancient times to divide the land into ounce; following the unification of Italy, the name "Emilia" was added to distinguish it from the homonymous village in the Val d'Ossola. Given its favorable geographic position, this area has been inhabited already in the Villanovian and Etruscan times, and there are documents which subsequently testify the Roman presence; The first reference to Anzola, however, dates back to 888, and concerns the Benedictine monastery of San Martino. Due to its proximity to the city of Bologna, just 13 kilometers away, Anzola has always been under the control of this city, standing alognside it, from the time of the Lega Lombarda fights to the battles between Guelfs and Ghibellines and the war against the Visconti family. In 1643 it was also struck by the plague.
what to see and what to do in ANZOLA DELL’EMILIA
The Ice Cream Museum, inaugurated in 2012, is worth a visit: here you can go back to the history of this delicious food from its origins to today (it seems that the first "ice cream", more similar to today's sorbets, even date back to Mesopotamia), observe the ancient machines they used to do it, as well as the ability to learn how to prepare and then taste ice creams and sorbets. Also interesting is the Museo Archeologico Ambientale which traces, through the many historic finds of the area, the close relationship of love and hate that this land has always had with water (also called terramara, that is sour land).
EVENTS AND FAIRS
- at the end of May there is Beer'n'Grill, a street food festival, with particular reference to the world of grill (with challenges among professional grillers) and craft beer;
- at the beginning of July there is the Festival Park, this year at its second edition, which allows to know and listen to the new musicians of the Bolognese scene and beyond;
- in early September take place Badia in Festa, where you can taste the traditional dishes of the territory, including fried crescentines and polenta, in addition you can purchase the products of the Badia of Santa Maria, for example nocino (nut liqueur) and cherries in spirit;
- in the middle of October, the Anzola Festival is organized, with markets of local crafts and food and wine stands;
- on November 11, at the San Martino Festival, Porco Mondo take place, a festival devoted to the art of delicatessen and all the products derived from the processing of the pig, there will also be a competition to see who will be able to prepare the sausage more long. Also on the occasion of the Feast of San Martino take place the Sagra dei sughi, where you can taste the traditional sauces prepared with the must cooked, as well as the new wine and many traditional desserts, such as raviole, pinze or brazadèle, fried donuts.
Tel. +39 051 736 593
Tel.: +39 051 650 2111 www.comune.anzoladellemilia.bo.it
OTHER USEFUL ADDRESSES
Hospital Ospedale di S. Giovanni in Persiceto SS. Salvatore - Via Enzo Palma, 1 Tel. +39 051 681 3111
First Aid tel.118
where's Anzola and how to reach
by Train: on the slow Bologna-Milan line, Stazione di Anzola Dell'Emilia