SAN LAZZARO DI SAVENA - Bologna
SAN LAZZARO DI SAVENA Travel Guide
Over time Ronco Maruni, because of the lazarus, changed his name and came to be called San Lazzaro.
Today San Lazzaro di Savena is a town of about thirty-two thousand inhabitants, rich in monuments and places of interest to visit and natural areas where you can go hiking and walking.
The territory of San Lazzaro di Savena is dotted with patrician villas and luxury mansion that nobility was built to enjoy the landscape and surrounding countryside. Villa Cicogna was built in 1500 by architect Jacopo Barozzi. The property was commissioned by Giacomo Boncompagni, then passed to Falconieri and in the Seven hundred to the Principles Column. Interesting stuccoes and frescoes depicting biblical scenes, Greek myths, and seventeenth-century war scenes.
The building has on the ground floor the entrance consisting of a large baroque loggia decorated with frescoes of mythological scenes, an old private chapel with 1775 stucco decorations and the auditorium.
excursions in the nature
The hills of S. Lazzaro, of karstic origin, are an important environmental patrimony with the Natural Park of the Gessi Bolognesi and the Calanchi dell'Abbadessa.
Fairs & Food in San Lazzaro
San Lazzaro di Savena is a commune rich in life and traditions: every year there is a colorful carnival whose main mask is the Lazzarone, a scapegoating little boy and a lover of fun.
At the end of July there is the famous San Lazzaro Fair, born as a traditional market but today it has become a fair full of gastronomic booths, performances, artists and antiques, events and concerts.
Among the typical dishes, almost all in common with Bologna, we remember the tortellini in broth.
where: at the gates of Bologna
Comune di San Lazzaro di Savena - Città Metropolitana di Bologna
- A.S.L. (Azienda Sanitaria Locale) Via Repubblica, 11 - San Lazzaro di Savena (BO) Tel.: 051 6224111
- Museum of Prehistory Luigi Donini - Dedicated to the environment and to the first human population, with important finds in the Parco dei Gessi area.
via Fratelli Canova, 49 - San Lazzaro di Savena (BO) Tel +39 051 465132www.museodellapreistoria.it
- GROTTOS OF GESSI PARK: Visit Center “Casa Fantini” - via Jussi, 171 - 40068 Farneto di San Lazzaro di Savena. Tel. +39 051 6254821 firstname.lastname@example.org ; web site: enteparchi.bo.it/parco.gessi.bolognesi