IMOLA | Bologna
IMOLA Travel Guide
Imola is a beautiful town of 69,938 inhabitants in the Emilia-Romagna, and is located 30 km from Bologna and about 60 from the Riviera.
The city was founded by Lucio Cornelio Silla, in the 82 b.C., and soon became an important center for both commerce and agriculture; its name is probably derived from "Castrum Imolae", first used in the 7th century, and indicated a settlement on the nearby Monte Castellaccio, which then grew to give life to the city itself.
In olden times Imola was ruled alternately by the Byzantines and Longobards, and later came under the control of the papacy with the Exarch of Ravenna; during the Middle Ages it was in war against Ravennati, Bolognesi and Faentini, and subsequently deployed on the part of the Ghibellines.
Many noble families sought to obtain the control of the city, which was delivered by the Pope to the Alidosi family, to which it remained until 1424, when it was conquered by the Visconti family; after a brief period in which the city returned under the control of the Church, it was again conquered by the Visconti family and later by the Sforza and in 1499 by Cesare Borgia.
what to see and what to do
- the Rocca Sforzesca is magnificent, with the archway, the Keep with the ancient prisons, circular towers (modified due to the spread of firearms); Currently there are a collection of ceramics and weapons, more than 600 pieces, dating from the 14th to the 20th centuries. The fortress can be visited on Saturday and Sunday.
- Continuing to stroll through the streets of the city you can see the many noble palaces that characterize Imola, such as Palazzo Tozzoni, Palazzo Sassatelli Monsignani or the home of Benvenuto Rambaldi, who first commented the Divine Comedy.
- The Theatre and the Municipal Library were obtained from the former convent of San. Francesco, while in the Pinacoteca you can admire beautiful paintings belonging to various ages; very beautiful also an old 18th century pharmacy, perfectly preserved, where you can admire the frescoed vaulted ceiling and vintage vases, placed on carved wood furniture.
- The oldest center of Imola is that formed by the Piazzetta Caduti per la Libertà, Piazza Gramsci and Piazza Matteotti, where you can admire the Palazzo Comunale and Palazzo Sersanti, with its characteristic porticoes.
- Deserve a visit the Duomo, dedicated to San Cassiano, which preserves the relics of San Cassiano and San Pier Crisologo; very beautiful also the crypt. In addition to the historic monuments,
- for motorcycle enthusiasts in Imola there is also the world-famous autodrome, where both Formula1 and Superbike run, and in summer it is often home to concerts for internationally renowned musicians. Inside there is also the monument dedicated to Ayrton Senna.
EVENTS AND EXHIBITIONS
- throughout the year, at the Teatro Comunale, you can witness a rich theatrical season;
- in July, there is the International Folklore Festival, this year at its 26th edition, now considered one of the most important events in the city. Artists from all over the world participate in the event to introduce their traditions and their own culture, in a unique and exciting atmosphere;
- always in July take place Imola Summer Festival, during which you can listen to internationally renowned musicians performing at Imola Piano Academy;
- always in July is organized a Beer Festival, with food and beer stands and live music;
- during the whole month of November there is "Baccanale", a gastronomic and cultural event that allows you to taste the flavors of the region, all accompanied by shows and cultural encounters.
- But as a city of motors, in Imola you can also find exhibitions, events and rallies dedicated to the world of motors and vintage cars, including "Imola Mostra Scambio", in mid-September, where lovers can find cars, vintage motorcycles and spare parts;
- while in October there is Imola Classic, event of historical car racing in the circuit of Imola.
Via Emilia, 135
Tel. +39 0542 602207
IMOLA Town Hall
Via Mazzini, 4
Tel.: +39 0542 602 111
OTHER USEFUL ADDRESSES
Health Service : SANTA MARIA DELLA SCALETTA Hospital via Montericco 4
Tel.: +39 0542 66 2711
where - on via Emilia, towards south-east
TRAIN: Imola station on the Bologna-Ancona line
Campagna Tesseramento 2021
Diventa Membro del club !
Come socio avrai diritto a:
-> kit di benvenuto e member card <-
-> guide di Viaggio e Cacce al Tesoro <-
-> partecipare alle attività sociali<-
-> newsletter con info turistiche <-
La quota associativa annua è di 15 euroAssociati adesso !